Thursday 17 October 2013

Books and Cake

Books and cake are two of my favourite things in the whole world so I was delighted when the latest Clandestine Cake Club meeting was book themed. I have been a member of the Derby branch of the Clandestine Cake Club for some time now but only recently started going to meetings. Each is themed and held at a secret location which is disclosed via email a few days beforehand.

The theme of our recent meeting, held last weekend, was 'The Wonderful World of Enid Blyton', a favourite childhood author of mine. I loved all Enid Blyton's books as a child..... Noddy, The Magic Faraway Tree, The Famous Five and Malory Towers and enjoyed sharing them with my own children too. My challenge was turning my love for her books into an appropriate cake.



I chose the idea 'Lashings of Ginger Beer' as a nod to my all time favourite Famous Five stories and made a spiced ginger loaf cake with ginger beer icing. It might not have looked the prettiest but it tasted lovely washed down with a nice cup of tea at the secret venue of Kay's Tea Rooms in Willington, Derbyshire. There were some fantastic cakes from very accomplished bakers than I, including one in the shape of Malory Towers itself. A lovely afternoon was had by all.



 
If you enjoy baking, and eating cakes then why not find out more about your local branch of the Clandestine Cake Club and if there isn't one then why not look into starting one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment