Sunday 18 August 2013

Bunting for Beginners with Booboo Kitty Couture

It's always nice to take the plunge and learn a new skill....today I did just that. I was invited to attend a beginners sewing workshop hosted by Booboo Kitty Couture at her dressmaking studio in Nottingham. Although I am no stranger to a needle my sewing was strictly limited to cross stitch embroidery and basic repairs by hand so I was super keen to be guided through the handling of a sewing machine by an expert.



The class was small and intimate with only 4 participants which meant that Aislinn was able to give us all plenty of individual guidance. She talked us through the basics of using asewing machine then demonstrated how to make our own bunting. After this initial instruction and a quick practice on the machines we were all eager to get started....the hardest part was choosing which of the lovely fabrics to make into our bunting. I eventually decided on a chintzy combination of florals and polkadots in a cream and pink colour combination and begun by cutting out my triangular pieces before braving the sewing machine to sew them together. Once sewn I turned them the right way round trimming any uneven bits from the top opening. Then I decided which order the fabrics should go in and pinned them to the bias binding which I folded over at the top to give a neat edge. Next came the tricky part......machining it all together. I was surprised how easy it was to do and even remembered to remove the pins as I went along so as not to break the needle.



As part of the day we went for high tea at the fabulous Tiffin Tea Rooms which was delicious. There was so much food I couldn't manage it all and it was a delightful interlude in the day and a chance for us all to chat and get to know each other.



I was SUPER impressed with the bunting that I made and can't wait to get my own sewing machine and make more. What a great day and a fabulous new skill to learn. I'm even considering booking onto a future day course to learn how to make my own swing skirt. If you are interested in booking onto one of Aislinn's sewing workshops then contact her via her website  to find out more information on dates and pricing. She will also do group bookings and it would definitely make a great day out for friends.


My bunting now has pride of place on my living room curtain pole as a reminder of my achievements today - why not give it a go yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment