Thursday 13 June 2013

Maggie and Me by Damian Barr

I thought I'd add a book review for a change.....well I am a librarian!!!

I've just finished reading Maggie and Me by Damian Barr. It's the very open, honest and at times shocking, autobiographical account of his childhood growing up as a gay young man on a tough Glasgow housing estate. The common thread throughout is of how his life responds and reacts to the 'Thatcher Years' and how her years as Prime Minister affected his family, neighbourhood and ideology.

At times heartbreaking yet at others heartwarming this humorous account is well worth a read. It shows just how, with determination and ambition you can triumph over adversity and make the best of your chances to improve your life.

I enjoyed this book and am very much looking forward to meeting the author himself at an event to be held at Ilkeston Library on 25th June. It's a quick, easy read and well worth giving it a go.


No comments:

Post a Comment